Thursday 6 April 2017

East Asia IBYE 2017 Learning Report

            It has been a fruitful experience during this IBYE 2017 programme. Not only did I learnt a lot from this trip, also I have made genuine friendships along the way.

            First of all in this programme, the theme “compassion in practice” really suits this year’s in conjunction of the 6th anniversary of the Great East Japan Earthquake in Sendai. I really appreciated how JYBA and the rest of the committees delivered this whole theme to us the participants. In this programme, I got to understand how it was like when the Great Earthquake incident occurred 6 years ago, through the sharing of each speakers, I was able to imagine the scenario of the incident. However, I reckon no matter how much thoughts and imaginations I put into this, I still wouldn’t be able to fully dive into such devastating experience, I definitely will never fully understand what it is like to lose homes, families, friends and those who I hold dearest until I truly experience it myself. But having only just this little understanding and empathy, have I felt a great sense of lost and depression, and I bet if this experience really had occurred onto myself, this feeling will surely be intensified thousand and even million times stronger. The suffering which the victims went through even until this day, is truly heart-breaking. From this, I was able to taste a great sense of impermanence, inspiring me to see how fragile human lives can be, just like a lit candle, with a flick or a gentle blow, the flame goes off, just like that. It reminds me of how truly precious a human life is, and how I shouldn’t be wasting any second doing meaningless deeds. It really urges me to stop wasting on the stuffs that’s trivial or has no meaning, and start LIVING. Express what you always want to express; love the people you care and care for you; do the things that you love; moment to moment; do what makes you happy, before it’s too late. Because seriously, you never know when will the flame of your candle be extinguished. The talisman we got from the chanting ceremony, to me, it not only acts as a charm but more, it reminds me of impermanence and I hope to put it close by every time.

Talisman given during the chanting ceremony
            I also learnt a lot from victims of the great earthquake. For me, losing someone or something dear is indeed a painful experience. However, seeing the victims, they inspired me. In them, I see courage and resilience, those brave steps they took each day every day since March 11, are indeed something I have to learn from. I see acceptance of the truth, it is like they know how one fretting over this is trivial and the only way to see pass this is with acceptance. Also, what I find most inspiring from them is that there’s no hate or anger arise from this tragic incident, but love, as if everyone understands that love is the only way to overcome hate and suffering. Besides, from the community, especially Buddhist community, I admired them for their volunteerism and deep compassion. It is definitely not an easy task to consult and heal the people were traumatized and lost. But out of love and compassion, they do. With lots of limitations and restrictions, and without any hesitation, the Buddhist community just gave what they have. To me, these priests are bodhisattvas themselves, expressing Dharma through their mind, speech and action. And this unconditional love and compassion, is definitely something I’m thriving to learn. Even until today, there are still actions going on in the aids of this post-disaster, which was to me, indeed something to be impress as they take this account very serious.

            Lastly, from this programme, as I mentioned in the beginning. Genuine friendships were made as I discovered people from other nationalities. It was wonderful to be able to make friends from different backgrounds, each of them carries their own unique stories, and sometimes, they are like storybooks to me, waiting for me to unravel and discover more of themselves, whether it is their core values, exciting encounters in life or even how genuine they are when treating us, they seem to amaze me. And just like what Mr.Denphong said in his speech during the opening ceremony. Although we are somehow “separated” by language barrier, but as long as we communicate heart-to-heart, it will be clear and wouldn’t be a problem. And I find that quite true, from this experience, it shows me that so long we have the sincerity to connect with others, and if that connection is true, the receiving party surely will receive it. And this also applies to every relationship we are making with other people, only through authenticity and sincerity will then love arise.

Team #2 
BMSM Representatives from Malaysia
            Once again, thank you to WFBY and JYBA for this tremendous opportunity, thank you for the efforts the whole of committee had put into! The programme and all was really great, rich of content and I love how the committee really managed the time of each itinerary very well. However, I felt it was little shame that we are unable to learn more of Japanese Buddhism, especially Zazen, but I do understand that due to time constraint a lot of activities were held back. Still, it was a really super awesome experience! Thank you and may all of the participants, committees and the rest be well and happy always! Sadhu!



Teoh Yan Hang Lloyd,
Participant from BMSM, Malaysia
31/3/2017




P/s: More details about the whole trip will be posted soon! (Once I have the time to do it that is :P)

No comments:

Post a Comment